Squad wins outside ACC

The No. 3 Virginia field hockey team continued its season with weekend wins against No. 12 Ohio State and No. 9 Syracuse at Powhatan Sports Complex in Norfolk, Va.\nSophomore midfielder Tara Puffenberger scored four goals for the Cavaliers (6-0) during the weekend and notched her first career hat trick during Virginia's 4-2 defeat against Ohio State (4-2). Junior midfielder Michelle Vittese also contributed in scoring while freshman forward Elly Buckley and junior midfielder Paige Selenski each recorded assists during the game.

Meanwhile, defensively, junior Adrienne Ostroff and senior Kim Kastuk shared duty in the cage. Ostroff did not make any saves and allowed two goals before Kastuk came on to make three saves.

It was the next day against Syracuse (4-2), however, when the squad shone on defense. Kastuk played for more than 70 minutes, as the game went into overtime, and posted seven saves, only allowing one goal from junior midfielder Martina Loncarica. Less than three minutes later, Puffenberger scored for Virginia off an assist from Buckley to tie the game at 1-1. Buckley then shot the game-winning goal four minutes into overtime for a 2-1 victory.

The Cavaliers took 16 shots to just 11 by Syracuse during the contest, including a 3-0 margin during the overtime session. Syracuse sophomore goalkeeper Leann Stiver played a large defensive role in extending the game to overtime, recording six of her eight saves during the second half as a Virginia offense pushed for a winning goal.\nVirginia will travel to Easton, Pa., to play against Lafayette Saturday where it hopes to maintain its undefeated record.

-compiled by Allen Kha