Stone lights fire under proverbial teen comedy

Despite some clich

Director Will Gluck (Fired Up!) brings viewers a fresh take on the high school comedy with Easy A. The effortless charm and vivacity of Emma Stone (Zombieland) combines with a quirky plot to save Easy A from becoming nothing more than an obnoxiously self-aware satire of teen comedies; instead, it is a decently entertaining, self-aware satire of teen comedies.

The themes that Easy A deals with have been not-so-subtly hashed out in countless high school movies: the importance of reputation, the harmfulness of the rumor mill, the moral debate (both external and internal) about losing one's virginity. Stone plays Olive, a clean-cut girl who is fairly anonymous at her California high school until she gains attention with a lie, saying she lost her virginity to an imaginary college student named George. Her closeted gay friend Brandon (Don Byrd) calls her bluff and convinces her to pretend to sleep with him, considering everyone already thinks she's done the deed.

Things snowball from there, and soon every downtrodden guy in school looks to Olive for a fake hookup, exchanging cash and gift cards for advancing her "partners'" reputations. Olive's classmates -