A love of Frostys

Sometimes I think college students are too focused on the social scene near 14th Street and Rugby Road. I'm not saying there isn't enjoyment to be found during nights out in those areas, but sometimes much simpler events can be all the more rewarding.

Last weekend, my roommates and I went to a party. We walked in and saw our choices of alcoholic beverages, but then we saw a girl walk in with a Frosty from Wendy's. And thus, a decision was made. We left the party and drove to Wendy's.

"To Wendy's!" the four college students in my car yelled.

"OK, but guys, where's the Wendy's?" I asked.

"There's one down 29," came the reply.

As I was pulling out of the driveway, my roommate reminded us that it was past 12 a.m. "Wait, is Wendy's even open now?"

"Yep, it's open until 2 a.m.," our other apartment-mate confirmed.

And we're off, blasting "Just a Dream," and "Teenage Dream" on the radio. Maybe there are too many songs about dreams on the radio these days. Or maybe I need to change stations.

Either way, we pulled into Wendy's. Having never driven through the drive-through before, it felt weird speaking into the metallic box.

"Five small vanilla Frostys," I said.

"Will that be all?" the box said back. "Your total is $5.40."

I pulled up to the next window, and the lady behind it stared at me. I rolled down my window and smiled at the lady. I was not sure what to do, so I just sat there, waiting for her to hand me the food. The music was still blasting, and we were all chattering about how excited we were to get our refreshingly cold vanilla Frostys. Maybe she said something, but I couldn't hear it, so I'm sitting there, waiting for something to happen until my roommate says, "Uh, Sheila. I think you're supposed to pay her." My bad.

At the next window, the employee took one look at our car, saw five college kids packed into a station wagon and smiled. Five vanilla Frostys, five spoons and a large stack of napkins later, we were flying back down 29 in the other direction. I waited until I was safely home before enjoying my own Frosty, but when we walked from the car to our apartment and felt our drink-holding hands starting to get numb, we realized that perhaps it wasn't the best idea to get Frostys in 30-degree weather.

Still, as we sat in our common room, enjoying our Frostys, the only thing that we wish we had were fries. There are some traditions - like dipping salty, crisp fries into sweet, thick Frostys - that I never tire of. Next time, because there will be a next time, we vowed to get five orders of fries to accompany our five Frostys. You can call us lame, you can call us party poopers, but we were the happiest group of college kids that night.

Sheila's column runs biweekly Fridays. She can be reached at s.bushman@cavalierdaily.com.