No. 4 Vols pose early season test

The Virginia women's basketball team will take on Tennessee tonight in Knoxville with the hopes of winning its first game against a power conference school.

The Cavaliers (2-0) last defeated the Lady Volunteers in 2008, when they shocked then-No. 5 Tennessee. Former Cavalier Monica Wright sunk a career-high 35 points on 14-of-26 shooting, guiding Virginia to the 83-82 victory. Last season, Tennessee handed Virginia its first loss on the season by a score of 77-63.

This year, the No. 4 Lady Vols (2-0) are led by freshman guard Meighan Simmons, who is averaging 24 points per game through two games. Five players scored in double figures during the Vols' 103-43 rout of Chattanooga Monday.

Virginia has displayed similar balanced scoring, as five players scored in double figures during the team's 81-58 victory against Mount St. Mary's. Junior guard Whitny Edwards currently leads the Cavaliers with 13 points per game.

The team is one of only 20 to have defeated the Vols on their home court, as Tennessee holds a 325-20 all-time record at Thompson-Boling Arena. Tip-off for tonight's game is scheduled for 7 p.m.

-compiled by Andrew Seidman