StudCo introduces two awards

Student Council creates awards for faculty, staff, honors Sandridge

Student Council announced Tuesday the creation of two annual awards that will recognize the University's faculty and staff.

The Leonard W. Sandridge Student Partnership Award will honor a member of the University administration for a commitment to working with students and student organizations. Sandridge, who currently serves as executive vice president and chief operating officer, plans to retire in the spring after working at the University for more than 40 years.

Naming the award in honor of Sandridge is fitting, Council President Colin Hood said, as Sandridge is in charge of much of what happens on Grounds outside the classroom. One of the ways he has shown his commitment to students, Hood said, is through his annual discussions with Council about the state of the University.

"[Sandridge] has an entire volume of experience and commitment here at the University," Council Director of University Relations Dan Morrison said. "It only makes sense for the student body to have some form of recognition for all he's done over the past couple decades."

Sandridge, who was present at Tuesday night's meeting, became emotional when informed of the award.

"To have the Student Council recognize my time here in this way is extremely meaningful to me," Sandridge said in an e-mail. "It's a particular honor to be associated with an award that recognizes the efforts of others."

Also announced at Tuesday's meeting was the Student Council Distinguished Teaching Award, which honors one teacher who "makes a positive and lasting impact on the university through: dedication to developing relationships with students and the creation of an engaging and challenging classroom atmosphere," according to Council's website.

The awards will be granted by a committee composed of both Council members, including Hood and the chair of the representative body, and students. The representative body will choose five undergraduate students and two graduate students to participate.

Nominations for the awards will be accepted from Nov. 12 to Jan. 1. Those interested in nominating an individual should submit the nominee's r