Rousing

From its ornate costumes and sets to its laundry list of aging English actors, The King's Speech has the look of a dull tale of rich royals and petty drama. But beneath its veneer of elaborate costumes and sweeping shots, director Tom Hooper's new film contains a compelling story of familial obstacles and personal triumph. Moreover, it boasts some of the best performances of this or any year.\nAt the start of The King's Speech, Prince Albert, the second son of King George V, attempts to stutter his way through a speech at the 1925 Empire Exhibition. Waves of tension and disappointment engulf the audience, as even Albert's wife, Elizabeth, seems to wilt in the face of her husband's humiliating delivery. In fact, much of the film's first act consists of Elizabeth's efforts to find an effective speech therapist for Albert, whose place in the royal family requires that he speak with confidence and fluidity. To attain this seemingly hopeless goal, Albert passes from one quack to the next. During one particularly comical scene, a therapist demands that the Duke fill his mouth with marbles, just as Demosthenes supposedly did thousands of years before. "Has it worked since then?" quips the superb Helena Bonham Carter in the role of the distraught Duchess of York.

After years of failure, the Duchess stumbles upon Lionel Logue, whose quick wit and unconventional methods challenge Prince Albert's stiff and stuttering exterior. Logue's sessions with the Duke begin as pure comedy, and they play brilliantly. In the hands of Geoffrey Rush, Logue becomes one of the sharpest and wittiest characters ever to grace a biopic. Nevertheless, he also shows emotional depth and true humanity as the film progresses; the cheery and charming aura of the early sessions evaporates when unforeseen forces thrust Prince Albert toward the throne.

As Albert approaches his destined spot as head of the monarchy, The King's Speech becomes a searing study of the dangers of rigidity and repression. Unable to give voice to years of struggles and personal pain on account of his stutter, the prince must contend with both the physical and emotional results of years of teasing and mockery. When Albert's emotions begin to burst forth, the film lifts the curtains that often surround the monarchy, even in the world of cinema. Although the royals aspire to project an image of absolute confidence and perfection, unrealistic expectations and parental pressures have long lurked in every corner of the palace.

As such, the dramatic tension heightens, friendships rise and fall, and a series of unpredictable circumstances place Albert at the podium for a climax that provides both emotional payoff and a fitting final bookend for the film.

From its gloomy opening shots to its triumphant conclusion, the film offers up a riveting and educationally rewarding experience, led by Colin Firth's majestic turn as King George VI, which won him the Golden Globe this year for best actor in a drama. With its terrific cast, witty script and inspirational story, The King's Speech breaks the mold of the traditional biopic and arouses both laughter and tears.