53rd Grammys bring on the glam

Bold fashion choices, unexpected performances, surprise wins spice up music

The 2011 Grammy awards offered a few surprises among a seemingly predictable evening of events. The flashy fashion choices of the many stars and starlets didn't fail to amaze, even as the ceremony enters its 53rd year. Some of the top-dressed people who rocked the red carpet were Lea Michele in a black Emilio Pucci gown, Justin Bieber in a white velvet D&G suit and his girlfriend, Selena Gomez, who wore a gold J. Mendel dress.

The night kicked off with Rapper LL Cool J introducing Christina Aguilera, Jennifer Hudson, Florence Welch of Florence + The Machine, Martina McBride and Yolanda Adams, who performed a musical tribute to Aretha Franklin. Aguilera flaunted a curvier figure, which was only accented by her unflattering dress and makeup, while Hudson, the new face for WeightWatchers, looked glam in a rocker military jacket and pant ensemble.

Cee Lo Green performed his song, "Forget You," for which he won a Grammy later in the night, with Oscar-winning actress Gwyneth Paltrow and a chorus of muppets. Paltrow's performance itself was Grammy-worthy, and Green's loud, sequined outfit - complete with feathered headdress - made the collaboration the hit of the night.

Rihanna - who won Best Dance Recording for her song "Only Girl (In The World)" - and Drake's performance of "What's My Name?" was probably one of the most scandalous of the ceremony; Rihanna's barely-there dress and the singers' on-stage chemistry left viewers drooling. To no one's surprise, Lady Gaga arrived at the Grammys in an egg, "hatched" on stage, then performed her new song "Born This Way." Her performance was very typical Lady Gaga: a lot of skin, a lot of intense choreography and a strong message to the audience.

Classic names such as Mick Jagger, Bob Dylan and Barbra Streisand also lent their musical skills to the show and displayed a sense of musical tradition in the Grammys. As the show is mostly devoted to the current and up-and-coming music scene, these older artists created a balance to appeal to another age group.

The big winners of the night were Lady Antebellum, which took home four awards, including the top prizes of Record of the Year and Song of the Year. Lady Gaga and Jay-Z filled out the top echelon, winning three each. Bieber walked away empty-handed after being beat out of the Best New Artist category by virtual unknown Esperanza Spalding; Katy Perry experienced a similar fate, failing to bring home a Grammy despite receiving four nominations. Arcade Fire took home Album of the Year after its first ever performance at the Grammys. British band Muse - also first time performers at the awards - took home Best Rock Album; front-man Matt Bellamy gave a shout-out to girlfriend and mom-to-be Kate Hudson in one of the sweeter moments of the night.