Letter from the editor

This will be my first and last time writing the tableau letter from the editor.

My first because I am the most recently elected senior editor of tableau and barely have held the position long enough to learn my way down to The Cavalier Daily offices; my last because the new editorial staff has decided to do a much-needed overhaul of the letter from the editor section.

As so many things do, the decision starts with Oprah. A few weeks ago, the Big O revealed the existence of her formerly secret half-sister. As the world was screeching to a halt, we here at tableau were remiss that we did not have a means of communicating this huge news to our readers. We felt the need for a section where we could let the readers know about the familial discoveries of talk show titans and any other cool goings-on in the entertainment world that captured our interest.

And so, "The Low Down" was born. The new section, which will debut in next week's issue, will be a weekly dose of things we're loving in entertainment. Pop culture news, upcoming artists you need to hear or a hilarious quote from 30 Rock are all fair game to pop up on our radar, and we are excited to share our thoughts with the readers.

Finally, I will use this opportunity to tell you three very important things that all self-proclaimed entertainment junkies should do: Only refer to Lady Gaga's upcoming album as "The Best Album of the Decade," even though it won't be; rent all five glorious seasons of the underrated Friday Night Lights on DVD; and never underestimate the power of Oprah.