The best medicine

Researchers at University of Leeds' School of Healthcare have found that laughter and good nursing care may be the more effective in healing the body than the latest medical technologies available, specifically for leg ulcers. Venous leg ulcers commonly are found in individuals with varicose veins or mobility problems, in which blood in the feet and calves have difficulties propelling back to the heart. These leg ulcers can be painful and disfiguring, negatively affecting people's health and quality of life. In a five-year study of 337 patients suffering from leg ulcers, published in the British Medical Journal, researchers have shown a hearty laugh can stimulate the diaphragm and thereby help move blood around the body. Other studies of leg ulcers previously have shown that low-dose ultrasound potentially could clear these ulcers. Prof. Andrea Nelson, lead researcher of the study, has shown that the use of ultrasound did not significantly increase the speed of healing, nor did ultrasound decrease the recurrence of ulcers. Instead, Nelson said the crucial aspect of care is stimulating blood flow from the legs to the heart, including through laughter. This study follows previous research findings showing the benefits of laughter in reducing the risk for heart disease and stress hormone levels.

-compiled by Jennifer Tran