McDonnell signs bike bill

Law allows two-wheel riders to pass through sensor-activated traffic lights

A new law will allow motorcyclists, moped riders and bicyclists to disregard sensor-activated red lights that have not acknowledged the riders' presence. The law, which was signed by Gov. Bob McDonnell last month and takes effect July 1, stipulates that riders may only proceed after waiting two light cycles, or 120 seconds, provided there is no oncoming traffic.

Del. Thomas Greason, R-Loudoun, who sponsored the legislation, said he found the change necessary because motorcycles and bikes lack sufficient weight and metal to activate sensors under the street to trigger green lights.

"There's no real legal option for [cyclists] under the current law, which causes a very dangerous situation in my mind," Greason said. "[The law] gives them an option. If they're stranded at a light, and the light does not cycle and they're there for 120 seconds, they can treat the light as a stop sign. They can look calmly at the surrounding roads, assess the traffic, and when it's clear, move through the light legally as if they were proceeding through a stop sign."

Politics Prof. Leonard Schoppa, president of the Charlottesville Alliance for Community Choice in Transportation, said the law is "a step in the right direction."

He emphasized, however, that it is "second-best as compared to retrofitting the stoplights to respond to bikes ... that is obviously safer and more convenient."

Although he acknowledged that the law will make alternative transportation easier for Virginians, Schoppa voiced concern about the length of time bikers will be required to wait at a red light. "120 seconds is a long time," Schoppa said. "I have a 12-minute bicycle ride to the University, and there are two of these stoplights on my journey. If I had to stop for 120 seconds at each one, it would add significantly to my commute."

Additional opposition grew in the House of Delegates about liability. Greason said the bill lists numerous provisions to prevent bikers, motorcyclists and moped drivers from using the freedom the law offers in an unintended or unsafe manner. Moreover, the wording of the law ensures that in the case of an accident, there will be no debate about liability.

"We specifically added language in the bill [addressing liability] because there were some concerns from some fellow legislators," Greason said. "There will be no transfer of liability. It is the sole responsibility of the bicyclist or motorcyclist to make sure the coast is clear and proceed with caution into the intersection"