Students aim to support veterans

Members of Counselor Education program create organization on Grounds to assist former soldiers

Two graduate students from the Education School recently created an organization called Military Veterans @ UVa, which aims to establish a community to help veteran civilian students and active duty military personnel transition back to student life more easily.

Education graduate students Seth Hayden and Alison Cutright, who are both part of the Counselor Education program, started the organization with the hopes of providing veterans with access to resources such as counseling and financial aid.

"Veterans and those serving in the military are a very unique group in that they go through intense transition times especially in leaving the service and entering back into 'normal life' or life on Grounds," Education graduate student Erica Craig said in an email. "Members can find a sense of comfort being with people who understand their position. MV@UVA hopes to develop a veteran community on Grounds to enable members to continue these types of relationships after their service."

The organization was born out of a desire to connect veterans with people who have shared similar experiences.

"The Curry School has encouraged a spirit of outreach and advocacy for individuals and families we serve," Hayden said in an email.

Capt. Damon Armeni, a graduate Arts & Sciences student, addressed veterans' specific needs.

"Veterans have a unique way of life," Armeni said. "There's no real correlation [to non-veteran students]; you can't talk to someone else about what it's like."

As of now, the organization is in the planning stages.

Chris Ahn, vice president of community relations of the Darden Military Association, is helping MV@UVa get started.

Hayden and Cutright are non-veteran students who are now looking to hand the program off to veterans, Ahn said. "Ideally, we want former military guys to head it up and create their own identity. We just want to get the ball rolling."

Armeni, who spoke with the current planners at a meeting last Tuesday, said he hopes to work with the organization until he graduates. The organization next hopes to gain publicity from the University and plans to appear at the Fall Activities Fair.

"With members already showing interest and this group's potential for growth, MV@UVA will hopefully become a cornerstone of support for veterans on Grounds," Craig said.