Another season underway

Finally. We've been through 236 days of the longest offseason in memory, but, at long last, college football is back complete with actual kickoffs, touchdowns, head-jarring hits and everything else that makes us love the sport of football. We no longer have to hear constant reports about dying trees, coaches with alcohol addictions, Ponzi schemers, bag men or sports agents - also known as pimps to Nick Saban. Rather, for the next four months, our desire to concentrate on watching 20-year-old idols trying to knock the hell out of each other on those special, crisp Saturdays will be satisfied. Before this weekend, every coach in America told his team that this would be its year and that its slate would be wiped clean come the start of the season. But oh how fleeting those aspirations and dreams were for some.

Last Friday night, for instance, it took Baylor junior quarterback Robert Griffin III - often referred to as RGIII - only 60 minutes to prove to the nation that TCU should undoubtedly not possess a top-15 ranking this year. Although the final score only read 50-48, trust me, the game was nowhere near that close. If only the Heisman Trust could stick to its creed of selecting the best college football player in the nation regardless of team or conference or media hype, then Griffin would have placed himself squarely in the race for the most coveted prize in all of sports.

Less than 24 hours after that crazy game in Waco, the season officially got underway Saturday morning as thousands of football fans woke up to tune in to the maniacal Lee Corso and his sidekicks on ESPN's College GameDay. Every fan could be sure that football season had officially started as Corso began another year holding an unsharpened pencil, staring into the camera, rushing to rash judgements and cursing a team for the day - a glorious sign from the gods.