Squad looks to foil Big Ten foe

After thumping Tribe last week, London aims to solidify key offensive positions at Indiana

In the build-up to Virginia's season-opening 40-3 triumph against William & Mary last week, speculation about the team's quarterback situation ran rampant.

Entering this weekend's tilt with Indiana, Virginia may have a controversy at another critical offensive position: running back.

Virginia's stable of running backs will play a crucial role as they compete for carries when the Cavaliers (1-0, 0-0 ACC) take on the Hoosiers (0-1, 0-0 Big Ten) in Bloomington, Ind. Saturday.

"Whoever the quarterback was or is, I think the supporting cast will make that position," coach Mike London said, pointing to the running backs' importance.

That supporting cast includes redshirt freshman running back Kevin Parks, whose scintillating performance last Saturday outshone that of junior Perry Jones, the game's starter. Parks torched William & Mary for 114 yards and three touchdowns on just 16 carries, while Jones rushed 12 times for 56 yards. Freshman tailback Clifton Richardson is also in the running back mix after rushing for 57 yards and a touchdown against the Tribe. London, however, downplayed a potential controversy about who would start, and is confident that the running backs can complement each other.

"If you look at [Parks] up close and personal, he's more stout, has bigger legs - [he's] a different type of back," London said. "[Jones], although he can run the same plays, is a get out of a zone, toss, sweep type of guy. They have different styles, but I would say there are no running back issues going on right now. It's great to have an opportunity where one, two, three and four can play."

At quarterback, sophomore Michael Rocco will strive to tighten his grip on the starting job after an unblemished debut.

Rocco acquitted himself well in his first game as a starter, completing 72.4 percent of his passes and moving the chains effectively.

Though overshadowed by the offense and its compelling position battles, the Virginia defense put in arguably the opening game's most impressive performance by smothering the William & Mary offense. Against defensive coordinator Jim Reid's aggressive, pro-style scheme, The Tribe amassed only 169 yards of total offense, committed two turnovers and failed to even enter Virginia territory until the final eight minutes of the game. Freshman cornerback Demetrious Nicholson was the