Stith commits to Cavs

B.J. Stith, the son of Cavalier basketball great Bryant Stith, verbally committed to join the Virginia basketball program Saturday, The Daily Progress reported. Stith, a 6-foot-5 high-school sophomore, plays guard for his father at Brunswick High in Lawrenceville, Va.. The team won the state championship during Stith's freshman year after four years of consecutive losses in the championship game. Stith attended the Cavalier football team's home win against William & Mary and decided to give an early verbal commitment to men's basketball coach Tony Bennett before the opening kickoff. He would attend his father's alma mater as a member of the 2014 recruiting class - potentially alongside his brother, Brandan, a 6-foot-6 junior forward at Brunswick who is also considering Virginia. Bryant Stith, who starred for Virginia from 1989 to 1992, finished as the leading scorer in program history with 2,516 career points and led Virginia to three NCAA tournaments and the 1992 NIT Championship. He was selected as the 13th overall pick in the 1992 NBA Draft by the Denver Nuggets and remained in the league until 2002.

-compiled by Matt Welsh