LPGA honors Lewellen

The Ladies Professional Golf Association Teaching and Club Professional membership awarded Virginia women's golf coach Kim Lewellen the 2011 National Coach of the Year title Monday.

The honor recognizes a female high school or collegiate instructor or coach each year.

Lewellen, who was named the LPGA Northeast Section Coach of the Year following the 2010 and 2011 campaigns, earned her most recent accolade after leading the Cavaliers to a program-best fourth-place finish during the NCAA Championship Tournament last spring. Virginia's finish in the premier event also marked a personal best for the coach, whose squads have claimed top-13 finishes at the competition during her four seasons with the Cavaliers.

Lewellen's 2011 team also finished third at the NCAA West Regional, as well as at last April's ACC Tournament.

This fall, the Lewellen-led Cavaliers have already earned a top-10 national ranking and recently placed third at the Mason Rudolph Fall Preview, which pitted Virginia against 17 programs boasting top-25 rankings from Golfweek, including the 13 top teams in the United States.

-compiled by Stacy Kruczkowski