Team falls 3-0 against Hurricanes, Seminoles

While avoiding the Charlottesville snow in Florida, the Virginia volleyball team nevertheless slipped in its two weekend matches against Miami and Florida State.

Friday against the Hurricanes (19-3, 10-3 ACC), the Cavaliers (8-15, 2-11 ACC) failed to reach 20 points in any set and were swept 3-0 in Coral Gables. Two days later in Tallahassee against the Seminoles (19-4, 13-0 ACC), Virginia scored no more than 20 points in another straight-set defeat.

Against Miami, no Virginia player recorded more than the seven kills of junior middle blocker Jessica O'Shoney. Freshman libero Sydney Shelton led the squad defensively with 14 of the Cavaliers' 47 total digs.

Sunday against Florida State, junior right side hitter Tobi Farrar led the team with nine kills. On defense, sophomore libero Emily Rottman recorded a team-high 10 digs.

After dropping all four matches of the season to the two Florida squads, Virginia travels to North Carolina this weekend to face Duke and Wake Forest Friday and Saturday, respectively.

-compiled by Charles Holtsford