Ambassador visits U.Va.

Turkish official discusses economy, foreign policy of middle-eastern nation

Namik Tam, Turkish Ambassador to the United States, addressed about 100 people at Nau Hall yesterday evening to discuss Turkish foreign policy and the middle-eastern nation's relationship with America and the rest of the world.

Tam, who was appointed ambassador in February 2010, began his speech by describing some of the issues which Turkey currently faces, including the unresolved nuclear weapons issue in the Middle East. The region remains in a tense political standoff amid allegations that Iran is developing a nuclear weapons program.

To resolve these problems, Tam said we cannot be "idle bystanders."

One thing Turkey can rely heavily upon is its economy, which only trails China as the second fastest growing economy in the world, Tam said. The growing success of the Turkish economy is just one of several factors which add to Turkey's growing stability.

"Today, many people in the Arab world look to Turkey for inspiration," he said "Today, as we speak, Turkey is the most stable country in the region, both economically and politically."

Tam said the Turkish government will do anything in its power to maintain this stability, but added that everything should be done by peaceful means.

Syria, which borders Turkey to the south, has been featured frequently in recent news because of acts of violence committed by the Syrian government against its opponents, Tam explained. The Syrian government has continued to be violent despite the fact that it agreed to a peace plan sponsored by the League of Arab States in March 2011.

Since January, more than 3,500 have fallen victim to Syrian government forces and militiamen, according to the United Nations.

To resolve the situation in Syria, Tam said Turkey and other Arab nations must communicate with other nations and institutions, like the United Nations, which have similar values.