Learning by gaming

Like most other responsible college students, I found something other than my studies to occupy my time this past weekend. Unlike many of my fellow classmates, however, my vice of choice was video games, and one in particular - FIFA '12. As I worked my way through a rigorous tournament, my thoughts turned toward that age-old question of whether or not video games make you a better sports fan. I used to be a purist, insisting that traditional, on-the-field experience was the only way to improve one's abilities and knowledge. But after a handful of matches, I have begun to experience a change of heart.

You see, I am, if nothing else, your typical American youth. I grew up playing baseball in the spring, football in the fall and basketball in the winter. I cheered primarily for the Mets, Cowboys and Knicks, and the closest I got to becoming an international fan was when my father and I channeled our inner Canadians by watching the NHL's New York Rangers.

My interest in soccer only began recently during my first year here at the University when one of the members of my suite introduced me to the beautiful game. Not having grown up with the sport, proper knowledge of all the subtleties of the game has eluded me - despite my frequent attempts to gain familiarity with the sport through trudging out to Kl