Squad comes up empty-handed

The Virginia volleyball team dropped both of its contests this past weekend against Duke and Wake Forest and fell into sole possession of last place in the ACC standings.

Despite entering the matchups with confidence based on their earlier triumph against Wake Forest (7-18, 4-11 ACC) and their narrow loss against Duke (17-7, 11-4 ACC) last month, the Cavaliers (8-17, 2-13 ACC) fell short in their attempt to secure morale-boosting victories. After splitting the first two matches, the Blue Devils claimed two straight sets to earn a 3-1 win. The following day, the Cavaliers squandered an early 2-1 lead to allow the Demon Deacons to close out the match with a 3-2 victory.

Offensively against Duke, three Cavaliers - freshman right side hitter Tori Janowski, sophomore outside hitter Rachel Clark and senior outside hitter Simone Asque - recorded more than 10 kills. Janowski led the offensive charge with 12 kills, while junior setter Beth Wildermuth spearheaded the defense with 17 digs.

During the five-setter against Wake Forest, Asque, who now ranks No. 7 on the Virginia all-time kill list, added 21 kills, while junior middle blocker Jessica O'Shoney contributed 10 of her own.

Now after two weeks of being on the road, the Cavaliers return to Charlottesville to begin a five-game home stand, beginning with matches against Boston College and Maryland this weekend.

-compiled by Charles Holtsford