Making a fashion statement

Rapidly expanding website features the trends, tricks and tips of stylish college students across the country

Although it has only existed for a few short months at the University, College Fashionista has already become a presence in the local fashion scene. Since the beginning of the semester, students of all backgrounds have been drawn to the website by links posted on Facebook or Twitter, thirsting to know more about College Fashionista.

Since 2008, CollegeFashionista.com has documented the unique fashions of American college students at campuses across the nation. The site was started by Indiana University student Amy Levin, who recognized the fashion innovations of her classmates and realized the need for an outlet to share and develop these innovations. In her words, College Fashionista was created to "give college students a medium through which their cunning eyes for the latest college fashion trends can be showcased and give them the ability to administer advice on how to adapt it to student life."

College Fashionista has since expanded to more than 180 college campuses around the United States, covering combinations of street style, classic prep and high fashion trends adapted to a student's budget, among many other styles which are apt to crop up at universities. Levin's initial dream of reporting on students who embody the ideal "fashionista" has been realized through the site's "Style Gurus," hand-picked students who are constantly on the lookout for real-life fashionistas at each of their respective universities.

Third-year College student Folayemi Agusto was responsible for bringing College Fashionista to Grounds. She became aware of the website while working as an intern this past summer in New York City, and from there she paved the way for College Fashionista at the University. Now she is one of three Style Gurus for the University, all of whom have been integral in the growth of the University's College Fashionista site.

The site is conducted according to the College Fashionista model, which features a different theme for each day of the week: "Style Advice of the Week" on Monday; "Let's Hear it for the Boys" on Tuesday - that's right, guys - you're not left out; "Fashionista/o Spotlight" on Wednesday; "All About Beauty" on Thursday; and "Accessories Report" and "Fashion From Abroad" on Friday.\nIn addition to showcasing the trendiest students at campuses around the nation, College Fashionista offers several other features, including collaborations with well-known fashion companies. Recent collaborations have included contests with Frye, Madewell and C&C California, the latter of which took the form of a T-shirt design competition. College Fashionista clearly does not only encourage the promotion of fashion by imitation and inspiration, but pushes its readers to take fashion into their own hands.

College Fashionista has the unique and irresistible effect of making our peers pseudo-celebrities, and of course, giving its readers the hope that they, too might count themselves among that group. Therein lies the power and the potential of the site: As long as students are being featured, their classmates will continue reading and spreading a universal love for fashion. In the token parting words of Levin, "Style on"