Police apprehend Occupy protesters

Occupiers refuse to leave Lee Park after permit expires; officers arrest at least seven demonstrators for violating City curfew

Police arrested several protesters yesterday evening after they refused to leave Lee Park when Occupy Charlottesville's permit expired at 6 p.m.

Protesters were not ordered to leave the park until 11 p.m. in accordance with the City's curfew. Charlottesville Police gave occupiers a 15-minute warning before arresting those who remained in the park after 11 p.m. By 12:30 a.m. today at least seven protesters had been arrested.

As police began to arrest protesters, other members of the movement began restating their pledge to non-violent protest, chanting, "Our passion, our freedom is stronger than their prisons."

Some protesters chose to stay in solidarity with those who had been arrested. They were supported by a legal team made up of attorneys from Charlottesville as well as several University Law students.

"I went to law school in order to be involved in the struggle for civil rights and civil liberties," said Jeff Fogel, a lawyer for Occupy Charlottesville.

In light of the tense standoff, some occupiers chose to comply with the police's demands to avoid arrest.

"I thought hard about it ... but I don't think it won't be as big a deal as it was in other places," Occupier Brent Palmer said. "I would just stand here and wait for them to carry me off on principle ... [but] I think in this particular circumstance I would just be getting arrested for the sake of getting arrested."

University Law student Kimberly Rolla, who is part of the Occupy Charlottesville legal team but not an active member of the movement, said she believes in many things the movement stands for, but acted as an impartial observer yesterday evening.

"It's a political statement for legal observers to be present at this demonstration," Rolla said before the protest yesterday. "Our goal is really going to be to know the names and contact information of those who are arrested."

Individuals who have been a part of the local movement which began in mid-October are now seeking to relocate their protest. During a general assembly meeting Tuesday night, occupiers considered a move to George Rogers Clark Park, which is across from the Red Roof Inn by the Corner and on University property.

In response, Michael Strine, University executive vice president and chief operating officer, sent occupiers an open letter yesterday morning in which he warned that "the University will take enforcement action to prevent the attempted establishment of an encampment on University property including issuing Trespass Notices and the subsequent enforcement of such notices, if necessary."

He added that an encampment on Grounds would "impair our mission by diverting necessary resources from our core functions. Such an encampment also would create significant health, hygiene, and safety problems for the University community and the citizens we serve."

Occupy Charlottesville protesters responded to the letter by denying any intention of knowingly entering University property. To that end, protesters decided last night to move to the Freedom of Speech wall in front of City Hall.

The City offered protesters the opportunity to camp out on the eastern side of McIntire Park, but the group nearly unanimously rejected the proposal.

"It's a horrible place to demonstrate," Palmer said. "We can't be visible there, we can't send a message, we can't interact with people ... A lot of people here think we were offered that to get us out of sight so no one would have to think about us anymore."

Palmer said the group would continue to demonstrate and send its message even though it can no longer inhabit Lee Park.

"What everyone that I've personally spoken to is thinking is ... we'll keep doing active events and marches," he said. "We're not giving up ... We're doing whatever we can do form whatever position we find ourselves in."

-Caroline Houck contributed with reporting