Police officer, unidentified male shot dead at Virginia Tech

UPDATE: Virginia State Police confirmed Friday that the second victim, who was not a Virginia Tech student, was the shooter in Thursday's incident. They also identified the slain Virginia Tech police officer as Derieck Crouse, but have yet to identify the shooter.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Virginia Tech campus was on lockdown for most of the afternoon after two people were fatally shot. University officials said one of the victims is a police officer, who was conducting a routine traffic stop at the time. Witnesses reported seeing the officer shot in a parking lot on campus. A weapon was found along with the second victim's body in a nearby parking lot.\n \nThe suspected shooter is believed to be a white male last seen in a maroon hoodie. Virginia State Police, who have taken the lead on the investigation, could not confirm whether the second victim was the shooter.\n \nThe immediate search for the gunman prompted a full lockdown of the campus from 1 p.m. to 4:35 p.m. Tomorrow's exams at Virginia Tech will be rescheduled, and the university will hold a memorial candlelight vigil tonight for the victims.\n \nIn 2007, 23-year-old Virginia Tech student Cho Seung-Hui killed 32 people in a shooting rampage on campus. Virginia Tech officials were in Washington today appealing a $55,000 fine for their handling of that incident.