Charlottesville’s Hidden Treasures

Charlottesville boasts lesser known attractions

Charlottesville is defined by its monumental attractions: Monticello, the Downtown Mall and the University of Virginia to name a few. These attractions are must-sees for any student, resident or tourist. But it is Charlottesville’s lesser-known venues that make it into the special place it is.
To check out many of Charlottesville’s secret treasures, here’s an ideal schedule for exploring local restaurants, landscapes, culture and history:

10 A.M.: Take a path less traveled at the Ivy Creek Natural Area, a 215-acre reserve located six miles north of Charlottesville. With a variety of windy walking trails totaling seven miles, hikers can experience the best of the outdoors, including hills, shoreline and — when you go early in the morning — spider webs. With several intertwining trails, there are options for walking at various levels of difficulty. The trails are listed on both the African American Heritage in Virginia Trail and the Virginia Wildlife and Birding Trail.

12:30 P.M.: Take artsy photos at the Woolen Mills. This small Charlottesville district is located on the eastern edge of city limits. To visit this historic location, drive to Meade Avenue past the Downtown Mall and turn onto Chesapeake Street. This historic neighborhood is famous for its proximity to the Rivanna River, which Thomas Jefferson sought to use for navigation in the 1760s. The Woolen Mills began operating in the 1850s, but were shut down in 1962. The Woolen Mills are also known as the site of a Methodist revival in 1886, and the church built during that period is still active.

1:30 P.M.: Grab some tacos at the La
Michoacana Deli on High Street. This family-owned and operated restaurant sells tacos, tamales, enchiladas and gorditas, all for $8 or less. Seating inside the restaurant is limited, but take-out is available. This Mexican restaurant is located right off Route 250 on East High Street by Preston Avenue.

2:30 P.M.: Then there’s The Bridge —
a small, non-profit organization that aims to bridge different cultural groups through various arts projects organized in and around Charlottesville. The Bridge gallery is located in Belmont on Monticello Road, just past the Downtown Mall, near the Belmont Bridge. The Bridge displays a variety of exhibits and hosts film screenings, music shows and small theater performances. In addition to the gallery downtown, The Bridge also organizes several “special projects” around Charlottesville, including a five-kilometer run and the Charlottesville Mural Project, an initiative that aims to produce two murals each year.

5 P.M.: Head to the Downtown Mall to a vintage consignment shop to search for that perfect outfit for a costume party — or even Halloween. You’ll never know what you could find in Ike’s Underground. Vintage Playboy magazines proudly adorn the window display, and vinyl record collections are offered up beside clothing from the ‘50s, ‘60s, and ‘70s. This place has it all. Named for its owner, this store has a “haggle-friendly environment,” according to its website. To enjoy this retro shopping experience, go to the 400 block of East Main Street. Ike’s Underground is located underneath the Tea Bazaar.

6 P.M.: Sit down for an unusual yet delicious meal at Continental Divide. Located on West Main Street opposite the Amtrak Station, this “Tex-Mex” restaurant may be hard to find, as it doesn’t have a “Continental Divide” sign displayed. You can identify the restaurant by its neon “Get in Here” sign. The entire restaurant has a passive-aggressive nature — on the menu is written: “Come on — don’t even ask for separate checks.” Some first-time customers might find the menu items bizarre — the enchiladas and burritos come with rice and a pumpkin muffin, for example — but this restaurant is a must-have dining experience.

8 P.M.: Get spooked and learn about Charlottesville history by taking a Ghost & Mystery Walking Tour on the Downtown Mall. Dressed in turn-of-the-century period clothing, tour guides lead groups along the Downtown Mall, chasing the truth behind a famous murder of Charlottesville Mayor Sam McCue’s wife in 1904. The guides provide clues and tidbits of history about the area as you walk along the heart of the city, even discussing the mysteries that surround the Lawn. The tour begins promptly at 8 p.m., leaving from the Marco & Luca Dumpling Shop on the Downtown Mall. College students get a $5 discount on the tour, which means they only have to pay $10 for a night of murderous intrigue.

10 P.M.: Catch the end of a show at Charlottesville’s smallest music and art venue, The Garage. This building is no more than a converted one-car garage on First Street across from Lee Park, which is located one block north of the Downtown Mall. But this tiny venue hosts jam sessions, art exhibits, film screenings, dance parties and potlucks. Its atmosphere is a mix of public and intimate. Seating for The Garage is in the grass on the hill across the street. Performances are often for donation only and are frequently announced the day of the show on Facebook.