Kirk resigns from University Board of Visitors

Entrepreneur praised Sullivan ouster; cites recent move to Florida as reason for resignation

Entrepreneur Randal J. Kirk has offered his resignation from the University Board of Visitors, citing his recent move to Florida as the reason for his departure.

“I am honored to have served as a member of the Board since 2009,” Kirk said in the letter. “However, as I now reside in Florida, it is not practical for me to continue this role, and I may not satisfy the composition requirements for the Board.”

Gov. Bob McDonnell will be responsible for appointing a replacement. The governor has already appointed 12 members during his term.

“R.J. Kirk was an invaluable asset to the Board of Visitors at U.Va. as an entrepreneur and business leader,” McDonnell’s spokesperson Jeff Caldwell said. “He brought a common sense perspective that served the University well.”

Kirk, a Virginia billionaire and founder of New River Pharmaceuticals Inc., also started an investment management firm called Third Security.

Forbes magazine in 2009 listed Kirk as the 468th richest person in the world.

Kirk garnered some attention during the summer when emails released through the Freedom of Information Act revealed his support for Rector Helen Dragas’ attempted removal of University President Teresa Sullivan. In one email, he also spoke out against other Board members for not being decisive leaders.

Former Gov. Tim Kaine appointed Kirk to the Board in 2009, and his term was set to expire in July 2013.

University spokesperson McGregor McCance declined to offer a comment on the resignation.