London suspends three football players

Coach Mike London announced Monday that he has suspended sophomore weakside linebacker Henry Coley, junior tight end Jeremiah Mathis and senior fullback LoVante’ Battle indefinitely for violating team rules.

London refused to divulge the specific infractions that precipitated the suspensions but declared that the punishment would hold until he felt “satisfied that the things [that] are required and that have to be done…have been satisfied or not.” The suspensions are Virginia’s first this season.

The absence of Coley, who has started all eight games alongside senior middle linebacker Steve Greer, will likely impact the Cavaliers the most when they travel to N.C. State this weekend. Coley ranks fourth on the team with 40 tackles and first with 10 passes broken up on the season. Sophomore Daquan Romero, who has logged substantial playing time in rotation with Coley at the weakside linebacker position, will start Saturday’s game against the Wolfpack.

Mathis has caught five passes for 42 yards and a touchdown in an ancillary role this season. With seniors Colter Philips and Paul Freedman fulfilling most of the blocking responsibilities and sophomore Jake McGee providing a potent threat in the passing game, the loss of Mathis should not affect Virginia’s offensive gameplan significantly.

Battle has registered one carry for 22 yards and one catch for a loss of a yard this season while splitting time at fullback with sophomore Zachary Swanson.