Student Council decides not to endorse, oppose Honor reforms

Representatives take different personal stances, argue controversial issue has no unified position

Student Council discussed the Restore the Ideal proposal Tuesday evening, but ultimately decided not to endorse or oppose the proposed amendments to the Honor Committee’s constitution and bylaws, saying neither position would be truly representative of the student body on the polarizing issue.

Resolution 13-05, the measure written in favor of the reforms, lauded the Committee for developing reforms which preserved the community of trust. Resolution 13-04, which opposed the honor reforms, encouraged the Committee to find more inclusive ways to preserve the ideals of the honor system. Neither resolution was voted on, and Council chose instead to encourage students to vote in the University-wide elections Feb. 25-28.

“I can sit here all day and talk about my personal feelings about the issue,” said Darden School representative Jack Parrot, a second-year Darden student. “But it’s reckless to say that that is the opinion to represent all of Darden.”

Council members also expressed concern that taking a firm position would not be truly representative of the Council’s opinion, as members have varying stances on the issue.

“Our endorsement [would be] extremely irresponsible,” said second-year Engineering student Jalen Ross, a Council engineering representative. “I don’t think it’s our place to campaign on one side or another.”

Proponents of issuing an opinion, however, argued that given the relatively low student engagement in last year’s elections, it was important to have a unified message about how students’ representatives felt about the proposals.