Studco tables transparency amendment, passes petition to health departments

Council resolution condemns discrimination against LGBTQ blood donors

Student Council met Monday evening in Newcomb Hall to discuss a Greek housing bill and a resolution on LBGTQ individuals donating blood. The new transparency amendment was tabled for the week.

The Transparency Reform Act, a bylaw that would mandate all agendas and bills to be posted to Council’s new website within 24 hours, also came under debate. Another stipulation includes posting meeting minutes as soon as they are approved by the council. Within this bylaw is a proposal to make role call voting a mandatory voting process through a shared Google Document posted to the website so that students can see how representatives vote on certain pieces of legislation. The bill was tabled until next week’s meeting.

Council also passed a resolution petitioning the federal Department of Health and Human Services and the Virginia Department of Health to remove their bans against blood donations from members of the LGBTQ communities.