Kaine announces support for gun control policies

Senator plans to endorse universal background checks, combat-style weapons ban

Sen. Tim Kaine (D-VA) announced Tuesday his decision to endorse stricter gun control policies, including universal background checks, as well as a proposed ban on certain combat-style weapons and high-capacity magazines.

In his visit to the University last week, Kaine said he would support limitations on magazine clips, and was considering a bill which proposed a ban on assault weapons.

“I’m also convinced that reasonable limits on gun trafficking across state lines, super-size magazines and certain combat-style weapons make sense, and I’ll be pleased to vote in support of such measures,” Kaine said in an op-ed published in the Virginian-Pilot Tuesday. “There is no piece of legislation that will eliminate violence. But if we take concrete steps, we can make our communities safer.”

Kaine has been considering the merits of each specific proposal introduced in the Senate to reduce gun violence for some time, said spokesperson Lily Adams in an email.

“Through conversations with constituents, law enforcement officials and fellow gun owners, Sen. Kaine has decided to vote in favor of the proposed bills that would impose reasonable limits on magazines in excess of 10 rounds and combat-style weapons,” Adams said. “[He] will continue to push for an up or down vote on major pieces of gun violence legislation including improvements to the background check system, stricter gun trafficking and straw purchase laws.”

A gun owner himself, Kaine said although he believes the Second Amendment should be defended, it should not go unrestricted.

Although Kaine has taken a pro-regulation stance, he said the most important part of the gun control debate is ensuring that an open debate actually occurs.

Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) and 13 other U.S. senators have announced plans to filibuster discussion of the proposed restrictions, Kaine said in a press release.

“The moment for decision is here,” Kaine said. “I don’t want to have this opportunity and shrink from the responsibility.”