PARTING SHOT: Fitting in and growing up

For former Life editor Abbi Sigler, the paper was a place for friends

I didn’t come to The Cavalier Daily because I had an immense passion for journalism. I liked writing enough, but I wasn’t drawn to a then-makeshift office on Newcomb’s first floor because of a burning passion. I was looking for a place to fit in at The University.

As I toured the open house, the 121st staff touted their love of the paper and how genuine and close the staff was. I spent most of my time judging the mountains of newspapers and litter and contemplating: if people were so genuine, would they really spend so much time bragging about it? Anyway, I digress, as I have in most of my columns. And despite these contemplations, I started my Cav Daily career as a production staffer with zero experience with Adobe InDesign and a Life columnist.

I spent my first shift as a prod staffer stressing out, nearly crying, that I had failed my first ECON 2010 test, without touching the computer, while the prod editor, a then-stranger albeit a “genuine” one, comforted me. My first Life column discussed why I liked “Gossip Girl” and “Glee” so much; people had recommended, “Write what you know” and at the time, these seemed to be what I knew best. When I re-read it two years later, I questioned why the editors even let it run, much less why I was hired.

And somehow, after those first two experiences, I wasn’t fired or even politely asked to find a place I may better thrive. It wasn’t by some miracle, but by the fact that the editors took an interest in getting to know me and helping me to be better. They were people who took a chance with me and took the time and effort to help me improve. This is what I love about The Cavalier Daily.

I cannot say enough about the genuinely great people who came before me, who worked with me and those who will come after me. Their talent and their friendship continually inspired me. They supported me through everything, in and out of the office — most notably when the infamous “elliptical column” went awry — helped me shed my shell and ultimately allowed me to find my place at the University. For this and all of the countless memories, I am eternally grateful.

I must also thank my friends outside of The Cavalier Daily. You, too, have made these four years an endlessly exciting ride, and you are what makes it so difficult to leave. From just sitting in Dabney’s hallway to survivor hours to board games to late nights in Clem, each day has been an incredible adventure. I must especially thank my roommate, who was often accidentally left out of my columns because I assumed everyone knew she was right there too, for helping while I debated frivolous sentence structures in everything from emails to columns and for being the best friend I could have ever hoped for.

Finally, I must thank my family for their unconditional, sometimes even overwhelming, love — especially my parents. I’m blessed to have a close-knit extended family that most people only dream of, which has provided me with enough support to make me feel invincible. To my dad, who actually checked his email to read my columns, who taught me how to be compassionate and the value of selflessness and who constantly reminds me how much love surrounds me. To my mom, without whom I never would’ve joined the Cav Daily or taken countless other risks, for giving me a sense of humor and always being my best friend.

In a scrapbook from first year, a dear friend who more often serves as my other half wrote, “At college, we smile brightly because we are with people we love.” I leave the University in a way similar to how I entered the Cav Daily office — not knowing exactly what was in store for me, but now smiling brighter than ever before.

Abbi Sigler was the 123rd Life editor and Earth Mama of The Cavalier Daily.