Substance abuse at Foxfield

National campaign attempts to curb alcohol binging habits at University

In light of the upcoming Foxfield Races, the University’s Gordie Center for Substance Abuse Prevention is holding a “teaser campaign” this week to raise awareness about the dangers of substance abuse.

Two informational sessions will be held Wednesday evening to answer students’ questions about Foxfield Races before they attend. The event, organized by Gordie Center partner the Alcohol and Drug Abuse Prevention Team, will include representatives of the Albemarle County police department, members of the Foxfield Racing Association and Assistant Dean of Students Michael Citro.

The campaign will conclude with an informational booth at the ADAPT’s Safe Foxfield tent Saturday at the races — notorious for heavy drinking among the collegiate crowds in attendance.

Students will be offered cups with information about substance abuse, along with snacks and water at the ADAPT tent Saturday. Sober students who sign a pledge will also be given a free T-Shirt and soda, according to the website.

ADAPT intern Kasey Sease, a third-year College student, serves as an intermediary with the Gordie center and is primarily responsible for organizing the Safe Foxfield event. The outreach campaign centers on promoting education and increasing safe drinking practices for the day of the race, she said.

Established in 2004, the Gordie Foundation was created in memory of Lynn Gordon Bailey Jr. after he died from alcohol poisoning during a hazing event at the University of Colorado. The nonprofit came to Charlottesville in 2010 where it joined the University’s existing Center for Alcohol and Substance Education.

One of the center’s awareness programs, Gordie’s Call, reduces dangerous drinking behavior by sharing knowledge of safe drinking habits and instilling awareness about the dangers of substance abuse and hazing. As the Foxfield Races approach, it’s important not to condemn drinking, but to encourage a safe community for healthy behavior, said third-year Commerce student Jaime Castello, who attended Bailey’s preparatory high school.

“Be an active bystander and make the call because no one did for Gordie,” Castello said.