Stuck in C-ville? Here's the top 10 ways to keep it interesting

From tubing to wine tasting, summer in the city is not as dull as it may seem

Staying in Charlottesville for the summer? Have no fear, even as most students pack up their belongings for summers at home or abroad, there is plenty left to do in Charlottesville and the surrounding areas. Here is a list of the top 10 things to try during your summer in Charlottesville.

1. Tubing on the James River: Just a short drive from Charlottesville, this can be a great day trip with friends. It’s a four-mile trip down the river and takes two to four hours — so pack a cooler and make a day of it. Not a fan of tubing? They also offer canoeing and kayaking.

2. Monticello: If you haven’t been to the home of the father of our University, it’s high time. Tours featuring the house, garden and rounds, or the history of slavery at Monticello are all offered daily. Pro-tip: tickets are offered at a discounted rate for University students and Charlottesville residents — and Charlottesville residents get in for free if they bring an out of town guest.

3. Midsummers: With a huge influx of students coming back to Grounds, this promises to be the biggest weekend of celebration in Charlottesville all summer. This is a University tradition not to be missed.

4. Hiking along Skyline Drive: With no shortage of trails, you can stay local or venture out along Skyline Drive. The Bearfence Hike, in particular, is highly recommended.

5. Fridays After Five: Is there any better way to enjoy the magical weather of a summer night than at a live, outdoor concert? These Friday evening events are all free and hosted at the nTelos Wireless Pavilion on the Downtown Mall. Concerts begin at 5:30 p.m. Bands range from disco to classic rock — so even those with picky music taste are sure to find a concert to enjoy. While you’re there, be sure to grab a Pantheon Pop for dessert. This Charlottesville favorite is vegan and comes in a wide variety of interesting flavors.

6. Australian Aboriginal Art Tour: The only museum in the United States dedicated to the study of Australian Aboriginal art, the Kluge-Ruhe Aboriginal Art Collection is open every day except Monday. Free admission also includes a tour of the museum.

7. Take a summer class or attend the Summer Language Institute: Summer classes are an ideal way to satisfy a pesky graduation requirement. This is also a fantastic way to get into those 4000-level seminars without subjecting yourself to the scramble of course action forms in the fall. You can also learn a new language at the Summer Language Institute. Worth 12 credits, it will knock out your language requirement and provides the perfect excuse to travel next summer.

8. Visit a vineyard: For those 21 or older, the Charlottesville area is home to a bouquet of tantalizing opportunities. With more than 30 vineyards in the surrounding areas, students can explore one of Jefferson’s favorite pastimes.

9. Go peach picking: Chiles Peach Orchard is located in Crozet, Virginia, and the peach season runs from mid-June to August. Did you somehow return home with 12 pounds of peaches after a day at the orchard? Experiment with that peach cobbler recipe you pinned to your Pinterest board back in February! Or if you’re feeling extra creative, homemade peach ice cream never disappoints.
_
10. Historic Walking Tour of Charlottesville:_ Offered on Thursdays and Saturdays, the hour-long tour will explore Charlottesville’s heritage and provides a rich historical perspective on the town. Tours of the historic African American Starr Hill Neighborhood are also available upon request.

Whatever you choose to do in Charlottesville this summer, be sure to take time to appreciate Charlottesville’s rich offerings beyond Pint Night and themed parties on Rugby Road.