University Place resident reports rape

Investigations continue in 'unusual' case, Johnson says

A resident of the University Place Apartments reported a rape Sunday afternoon on the 1600 block of 5th Street. The victim was able to escape and call police, and said she did not recognize the attacker.

Police arrested 32-year-old Louisa County native Henry Lee Jasper n connection with the incident and charged him with forcible rape and abduction. Jasper is registered as a sex offender connected to a 1999 case of aggravated sexual battery.

Albemarle County Police spokesperson Carter Johnson said she could not release much information on the case because it is “very much an ongoing investigation.”

“It is an unusual case, I can say that,” Johnson said. “It is not common for us to see a stranger case like this. I think that we do not have many crimes like this in our community.”

Johnson said she was not able to provide a statement to address residents’ safety concerns, but she did refer to the many services offered to rape victims by the Charlottesville Police Department.

“From the time a crime like this occurs, it is a priority for us to make sure that we provide resources to the victims,” she said. “We are with that individual from the initial crime to their court cases and beyond, making sure that that person is safe wherever they are and knows what is going on as far as court proceedings and that sort of things.”

University Place Apartments declined to comment.