Vandever sweeps City Treasurer election

Former U.Va. professor's bid falls short, Democratic candidate wins position

Jason Vandever defeated former Computer Science Prof. John Pfaltz to become Charlottesville city treasurer in a 1280-397 vote Tuesday. The Democrat beat out Pfaltz’s Independent run in the special election after Jennifer Brown, who had held the position since 1993, retired in October.

Vandever watched the results come in at a viewing party at the South Street Brewery with friends and supporters. The 30-year old James Madison graduate has been working for the treasury office for nearly five years, and has served as interim treasurer since Brown’s retirement.

The treasurer’s office is directly responsible for the city’s revenues and expenditures, and Vandever said he is excited to integrate a new tax management system which will provide a more comprehensive understanding of the city’s finances.

Pfaltz, on the other hand, said he was running to increase City support for retirement funds and deliver quarterly finance reports to increase transparency. He said he thought Vandever’s party affiliation would ultimately make him less able to fulfill the demands of the position.

“Jason is a member of the Democratic club, he’s unlikely to report anything that would be embarrassing [to the Democrats],” Pfaltz said. “There are embarrassments in the city finances, and as an Independent I can afford to expose these things and work to fix them.”

Vandever said Pfaltz’s concerns were largely about the city more generally, and not the treasurer’s office. “I really just want to focus on the treasury, and that’s a big part of the city — its finances,” he said.