A Fashionista’s paradise

It’s one of the biggest weeks in New York every year. For seven long and tireless days, designers from all across the world travel to the Big Apple to show their new collections in the highly famed Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week.

From the opening show of Nicholas K’s collection on Sept. 5 to the closing show of Calvin Klein’s collection on Sept. 12, none failed to impress the thousands of eager viewers, as each awe-inspiring collection proved better than the last. As always, the event brought A-list celebrities, models, singers and socialites alike, with guest appearances including Katie Holmes, Mary J. Blige and Kanye West.

Though every international newspaper and indie fashion blog has its own opinion about which designs stood out among the rest, there is usually a general buzz among fashion editors on which collections were deemed the best.

The New York Times named the collections of Calvin Klein, Proenza Schouler, Michael Kors, Narciso Rodriguez, Oscar de la Renta, Thom Browne and Altuzarra as the frontrunners. These collections were admittedly innovative, but they were perhaps a little too modern for someone more inclined toward classic looks.

Calvin Klein’s simple collection could be quite boring, with its myriad boxy blouse and skirt combos and its lack of vibrant colors or patterns. The same goes for the Narcisco Rodriguez and the Altuzarra collections.

By contrast, the Thom Browne and Proenza Schouler collections manage to do modern without being dull. Thom Browne’s edgy collection, which entailed various different shades of white,was a bit too eccentric for my taste. Similarly, Rodriguez’s collection was somewhat strange — with patterns inspired by home interiors.

For those with a more classic inclination, a few collections that stood out as personal favorites were Hervé Léger by Max Azria, Badgley Mischka, Zac Posen, Oscar de la Renta, Rachel Zoe, Michael Kors and Ralph Lauren.

Badgley Mischka and Zac Posen offered similar collections, with whimsical dresses and feminine accents. Hervé Léger and de la Renta are both classical high fashion lines, full of colors and striking patterns. Hervé never disappoints with traditional “bandage” or form-fitting banded dresses, and this year was no exception.

Finally, the Ralph Lauren, Michael Kors and Rachel Zoe lines were all strikingly beautiful, slightly edgy, and personal favorites because of their practicality. All three were definitely more “ready-to-wear” than other more extravagant lines. Though every collection was beautiful in its own way, for those with a firm appreciation for more traditional fashion, these are the lines to check out.

Fashion Week is one of the most exciting weeks of the year in the city for the fashionably inclined and the fashionably-impaired alike. If you find you have a spare moment, take a look at the collections and see what you think; you may find yourself ahead of the curve when it comes to the latest trends.