Board of Visitors student member addresses Student Council

Blaze encourages students to express concerns, communicate with the Board

Blake Blaze, a fourth-year College student and the student member of the Board of Visitors, addressed Student Council at its representative body meeting Tuesday evening. Blaze spoke about his appointment to the board as a non-voting member for the 2013-2014 term.

During his term, which started in June, Blaze is charged with presenting student perspectives to the members of the board. Blaze is also a Jefferson Scholar, a member of the Virginia chapter of the Phi Delta Theta fraternity and the current long snapper for the Virginia football team.

Blaze also addressed the AccessUVa decision that has been a recent source of controversy in the University community and said he hopes to represent the student voice in the ongoing debate.

“Members [of the Board] just see numbers on a spreadsheet, and it makes sense, but they don’t think about the student cost, and that’s what I’m there for,” Blaze said.

Blaze encouraged Council members to reach out to him with any questions or concerns regarding the Board and hopes to make himself a resource to students.