Top 10 Reasons Why Fall is the Best Season

1. Apparel
I am the queen of wearing sweaters absurdly early. The minute the temperature drops below 70 degrees you’ll find me in one — probably rocking black leggings and boots along with it. Ask a girl what her favorite type of outfit is — if she doesn’t tell you exactly what I just described, she’s probably (definitely) lying. Fall weather means it’s still warm enough to wear Nike shorts to class, but cool enough so you won’t sweat through your clothes on the surprisingly long walk from apartments to class. Sometimes I miss you, first year.

2. My birthday
As a self-proclaimed birthday diva, there’s no way this wouldn’t be awarded a place near the top of the list. My birthday temporarily rationalizes the online shopping I’m already doing too much of, plus gives you a day — or 12 — to rationalize eating your weight in cupcakes and cookies. And who doesn’t love an excuse to wear a crown? People are literally celebrating you for being created, no effort or achievement required.

3. School isn’t awful yet
It’s undeniable that classes at U.Va are hard. I’ve sworn to myself I will never again allow myself to see the inside of Clem after spending multiple 12-hour periods there last semester. I know that come midterm season I’ll be breaking that promise, but the beginning of school is great because everyone is still sluggish from the summer — professors included. The add/drop period followed by the two-week lull before all the tests and papers pile on almost makes going to class enjoyable.

4. Sales
Speaking of rationalizing all my online shopping, fall is a great time for every store ever to have a sale. Seriously, between Back-to-School sales, Labor Day sales, sales for the leaves being pretty and sales for it being the 10th minute of the fifth day of the month, it’s almost hard to buy something at full price. Now, if someone could just convince Starbucks to put their pumpkin spice lattes on sale, I wouldn’t feel so badly about drinking three a week.

5. Food
Pumpkin spice lattes aren’t the only quintessential fall fare. With autumn comes an abundance of apple everything: apple pie, apple crisp, apple tarts, apple muffins — did I say apple pie? Plus, the weather is still warm enough to eat ice cream (though let’s be real — is there ever a bad time for ice cream?). Fall: when you can drink your coffee hot or cold, and grab some hot chocolate, too.

6. Football
Is there anything better than a tailgate and a game on a beautiful fall day? Any excuse to eat, drink and be merry is a good one, and football is as good an excuse as any. There is so much camaraderie and spirit in Scott Stadium that it’s hard not to love spending an afternoon there. Plus, the beginning of the NFL season gives you the means to procrastinate on Sunday homework until midnight — or at least until Breaking Bad comes on.

7. Activities
Fall activities are great because they always look good on Instagram. You’re still tan from the summer, and sweaters look good on everyone. The fall leaves provide an effortlessly artsy background that requires minimal editing — everyone who’s anyone knows trying to put a filter on snow just doesn’t work. Way too white. And a picture on the top of Humpback just doesn’t look as scenic with bare branches. Autumn activities are always a hit on social media — guaranteed to minimally get you the 11 likes needed to turn that little heart from names to numbers.

8. Weather
The best part about fall weather is that it’s neither too hot nor too cold. It’s still warm enough to spend your nights on the Coupes patio, but cool enough so you won’t overheat upon entering Trinity — after all, doesn’t everyone measure the weather in terms of bars? Even better, you can still eat brunch outside. It’s the last season before you have to worry about lugging a jacket around everywhere, and either shorts or pants are appropriate in most situations. Nothing in your closet will go unused.

9. Holidays
What’s great about fall holidays is there’s really only one big one: Halloween. It’s a holiday that doesn’t celebrate anything except for witty costumes and shoving your face full of candy. You’re so hyped up for a semi-legitimate reason to celebrate that the celebration turns from a day to a week before you realize you’re not even sure what you’re celebrating anymore. It’s the perfect chance to break out those gold leggings that you bought one time (on sale — thanks fall!) or the weird leotard you found in the back of your mom’s closet.

10. Good TV is back
No more having to rewatch the entire Friday Night Lights series on Netflix or having to succumb to entertaining yourself via the Food Network when you need your television fix. Real TV is back, and so is real procrastination. All good shows are on school nights, and are obviously reason enough to stop reading and do your homework later. I’d be lying if I said I hadn’t attempted to stream shows live to my computer in Clemons.