University maintains No. 2 ranking

For 10 years running, U.Va. has nabbed second spot, still faces common higher-education issues

The University is the second best public university in the nation, according to the 2014 rankings released by U.S. News and World Report Tuesday morning.

The University maintained its position as one of the top 25 national universities, tied at No. 23 along with Carnegie Mellon University, the University of California at Los Angeles, University of Southern California and Wake Forest University. Princeton University was ranked the No. 1 college in the nation.

Since the ranking system was started in 1983 the University has consistently ranked in the top 25, tying for number 24 in 2013 and number 25 in 2012. The University has ranked as the second best public university in the nation for the past 10 years.

U.S. News ranks colleges on about 16 different quantitative criteria, including tuition, acceptance rates and graduation rates.

“The system places the greatest weight on graduation and retention rates, assessment by peers and counselors, and faculty resources,” according to a University press release. “It includes, but gives less weight to, measures such as student selectivity, financial resources, graduation rate performance and alumni giving.”

University spokesperson McGregor McCance said in an email that there may be other factors which are not taken into consideration in the ranking system that could benefit the University’s nationwide position.

“The University of Virginia takes great pride in its ability to help develop student leaders who place a great emphasis on ethics and personal and professional integrity,” he said. “It would be difficult or impossible for any ranking service to quantify the value or importance of student self-governance or of how signing the honor pledge or supporting and believing in the honor system improve the quality of an education at U.Va.”

With nationwide increases in higher-education tuition, it may become increasingly difficult for certain institutions to maintain their position in the U.S. News rankings. But McCance said he did not believe the University was in danger of losing its high ranking.

“Rising costs as well as declining resources are issues that must be addressed across all of higher education,” he said.“The University of Virginia is focused on providing an excellent education and a superior residential experience at a competitive price for students of all income levels. In short, we have a strong track record of doing more with less, relative to many peers.”