Charlottesville police investigate weekend robberies

Law enforcement officials seek more information about suspects, consider incidents unrelated

Charlottesville police are investigating two similar robberies that occurred approximately 30 minutes apart from each other early Saturday morning along 14th Street.

“One of the suspects had the description of approximately the same height in both cases,” Charlottesville Police Lt. Ronnie Roberts said. “And both incidents occurred in a short amount of time [relative] to each other.”

The first incident transpired around 2:45 a.m. on the 400 block of 14th St., according to Charlottesville Police. Officers report that a man confronted a 26-year-old female student, seized her purse and immediately ran off to a nearby car. The victim was not injured.

At 3:12 a.m., a student was attacked and robbed of a wallet and additional items by three men on the 200 block of 14th St. The student was treated for injuries at the Medical Center.

Roberts said that in the aftermath of the incidents, officers have increased their presence in the area.

University Police Lt. Melissa Fielding recommended students practice extreme vigilance in the upcoming weeks.

“Students should remain alert and observe people around them especially at times late at night or early in the morning,” Fielding said. “Pay attention to who is walking behind you and in front of you. Additionally, students should remember to not walk alone.”

No suspects from the reported incidents have been identified.