University facilities to remain turned on during winter break

Student environmental activists push for greener policies in the future

Even after the last suitcase leaves first-year dormitories and the last meal is served out of Runk, due to University policy, many University facilities will remain turned on for the duration of Winter Break.

Most buildings in the Darden Complex, the Drama Education Building and the Outdoor Field Complex facilities at North Grounds are scheduled for “reduced heat,” where temperature control systems will be set for 62 degrees. But the majority of buildings on Grounds, including library stacks and research areas where humidity and climate control are crucial, will require normal heat settings.

The cost of keeping facilities running during the break is difficult to calculate, according to Nina Morris, the sustainability outreach coordinator for Facilities Management, because each building is used differently.

In order to reduce energy consumption, Morris has encouraged faculty and staff to turn off computers, lights and electronics and set individual office temperatures to 62 degrees.

During the 2012-13 academic year, almost 90 percent of the University’s greenhouse gas emissions were due to electricity and fossil fuels, which are used for lighting, ventilation, heating/air conditioning, and other related functions, according to the office for sustainability. The office is currently developing a “green checklist” for students to reference before leaving on break that will be posted on the University’s website.