Medical Center appoints Ghaemmaghami CMO

"He has been and continues to be a clear thinker," Shannon says

The University Medical Center announced last week that Medical School Prof. Chris A. Ghaemmaghami will serve as its interim chief medical officer.

A Medical Center press release described the chief medical officer as the “senior physician in the Medical Center responsible for achieving clinical efficiency, effectiveness and quality, and service excellence including patient satisfaction.”

Ghaemmaghami, an associate professor of Emergency Medicine and Internal Medicine, previously served as associate vice chair for academic affairs, medical director for the Department of Emergency Medicine and director for the fellowship in cardiovascular emergencies.

As chief medical officer, he will be responsible for overseeing interaction between the various branches of the Medical Center, including the Medical school, the Nursing school, the Medical Center and the University Physicians Group.

In an email response, Richard Shannon, the University’s executive vice president for health affairs, said Ghaemmaghami had superb medical and administrative qualifications for the position.

“I have known Chris since his time as a resident in a demanding combined Emergency Medicine–Internal Medicine training program,” Shannon said. “He has been and continues to be a clear thinker with a penchant for systematic approaches to problems and solutions. He is a superb doctor and a stand-up guy.”