University launches computing cluster

Data Science center hopes to attract top talent

The University released “Rivanna” Thursday, its new High Performance Computing Cluster.

This cluster combines high levels of processing, which allows the computer to function or process data, and large memory for storage — the system comes equipped with 1.4 petabytes, or 1.4 million gigabytes, of storage. Rivanna allows for more collaborative work because it functions like a cloud, which lets users share information.

Data Science Institute Director Donald Brown gave a presentation at the release.

“Researchers from many disciplines can start working on hard problems that [they] may not have been able to work on,” Brown said.

The computing nodes are placed in parallel, which allows them to share data back and forth.

“[This allows us to] solve hard problems that need computation,” Brown said.

Rapidly advancing technological capabilities mean supercomputers constantly need to be replaced.

“Everything a supercomputer could do 30 years ago, a phone today can now do,” Brown said.

Brown said Rivanna has three main goals. First, Rivanna will help the University bring in top students and faculty in science, engineering and medicine. Second, Rivanna addresses the demand for highly trained students in data science and computation methods. Lastly, Brown said the system will allow the University to better engage in cutting edge research.

“This creates opportunities in variety, differentiates us from other universities, puts us ahead and allows us to compete more effectively,” Brown said.