“The Maze Runner” Exceeds Genre’s Expectations

The newest addition to Hollywood’s YA Dystopian Lineup Shines in Plot Development and Solid Acting

<p>“The Maze Runner” is more than just another installment in the mediocre young adult dystopian franchise</p>

“The Maze Runner” is more than just another installment in the mediocre young adult dystopian franchise

A thrilling novel-to-movie adaptation reminiscent of literary staples “Lord of the Flies” and “Peter Pan,” “The Maze Runner” is more than just another installment in the mediocre young adult dystopian franchise. Apart from a rather forced ending, a mastery of cinematic tension and a solid cast makes the movie an all-around crowd-pleaser.

Set in a post-apocalyptic world, “The Maze Runner” opens with the arrival of an elevator-like cage at a patch of greenery called the Glade, inhabited by a group of adolescent boys. The cage carries another boy, Thomas (played by “Teen Wolf’s” Dylan O’Brien), and a collection of everyday supplies. We soon learn that the boys, like Thomas, are unable to remember anything prior to their arrival to the Glade, save their names. The Glade is surrounded by a deadly maze, making it nearly impossible for the boys to escape. The only interaction the inhabitants of the Glade have with the world outside the maze occurs through the elevator’s monthly delivery of a new boy.

Though “The Maze Runner” still carries predictable undertones which are reminiscent of its young adult dystopian counterparts, the film’s ability to capture the eeriness of the ivy-covered maze and the urgency of survival is impressive.

The sequence showing Thomas’ bold decision to enter the maze — though he was not a designated "runner" tasked with mapping the maze before its nightly transformation — is everything you want in a thriller. Well-timed shots of Thomas’ escape from the maze’s predators create a bone-chilling atmosphere.

Though O’Brien has very little experience playing large Hollywood silver screen roles, he portrays Thomas’ confused and impulsive demeanor very convincingly. His rather impressive performance is backed up nicely by equally solid performances by newcomer Ki-Hong Lee as Minho, the main Runner, and the charismatic Aml Ameen as the Gladers’ leader, Alby.

The cast's only weak link is Kaya Scodelario, who plays Teresa, the only female Glader. The fault isn’t Scodelario’s, however, as the script does not allow for Teresa’s grounding character development. Teresa’s presence among the boys seems unnatural, resulting in a forgettable performance.

The film's biggest flaw is its forced ending. After almost two hours of gripping confusion, the movie ends with an all-too-obvious watershed moment. The audience is suddenly bombarded with information — leaving room for an all-too-inevitable sequel.

But audiences shouldn't be too quick to write off the film. Despite its hang-ups and a saturated dystopian genre, "The Maze Runner" offers spot-on cinematic storytelling and a strong, fresh cast.