Supreme Court rejects Huguely rehearing request

Last remaining appeal option is to U.S. Supreme Court

The Virginia Supreme Court announced Thursday it will not rehear the appeal of former University student and lacrosse player George Huguely, convicted of killing his ex-girlfriend Yeardley Love — also a University student — in 2012.

Paul Clement, one of Huguely’s attorneys, argued in October that his client’s Sixth Amendment rights had been violated due to the fact that one of Huguely’s attorneys fell ill during trial but court proceedings continued in his absence.

On Nov. 19, a panel of judges denied Huguely’s appeal. Huguely then filed a petition in December to rehear the appeal of his second-degree murder conviction, which was denied last week. The judges did not state a reason for their decision.

In May 2012, Huguely was sentenced to 23 years in prison for fatally beating Love, also a University student and member of the women’s lacrosse team. Huguely is currently serving his sentence at River North Correctional center in Independence.

Because his petition was denied, Huguely’s only remaining option is to bring the case to the United States Supreme Court. Charlottesville defense attorney Scott Goodman, who is not involved in the case, said that is unlikely to happen without any far-reaching constitutional issues at stake.