Virginia State Police announce administrative review, criminal investigation

Virginia ABC supports investigation

The state of Virginia has now commenced both an administrative review and a criminal investigation into the Mar. 18 arrest of third-year College student Martese Johnson by agents of the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control, the Virginia State Police announced in a statement Thursday afternoon.

Gov. Terry McAuliffe requested the administrative review Wednesday afternoon.

“Governor McAuliffe is concerned by the reports of this incident and has asked the Secretary of Public Safety to initiate an independent Virginia State Police investigation into the use of force in this matter,” spokesperson Brian Coy said.

University President Teresa Sullivan requested the governor’s office begin an independent investigation into the incident Wednesday morning, Vice President and Chief Student Affairs Officer Patricia Lampkin said.

“The Governor’s office has been in contact with University of Virginia President Teresa Sullivan and local law enforcement and will continue to monitor this situation closely as the investigation proceeds,” Coy said.

The City of Charlottesville Commonwealth’s Attorney requested the criminal investigation. The Virginia State Police and the City of Charlottesville Commonwealth’s Attorney will jointly conduct the investigation.

“The criminal investigation is being conducted by the Virginia State Police Bureau of Criminal Investigation’s Appomattox Field Office in coordination with the City of Charlottesville Commonwealth’s Attorney,” the Virginia State Police said in the statement.

Virginia State Police Superintendent Colonel W. Steven Flaherty said a thorough investigation will take time.

“Both elements of this investigation will take time to conduct and complete,” Flaherty said. “We owe it to both Mr. Johnson and the Virginia ABC to be painstakingly thorough in determining the facts of the situation through interviews, evidence collection and analysis, and investigative procedure. We appreciate the public’s patience as we move through the investigative process in the coming weeks.”

Virginia ABC Public Relations Manager Kathleen Shaw said ABC supports the investigation.

“We will be doing whatever we can do to assist them in [the investigation] process,” Shaw said. “That’s our role.”