Grass-fed beef for families in need

Hoos for Heifers provides high-priced beef to low-income community members

<p>Third-year College student John Hernandez founded Hoos for Heifers at the University, a CIO partnered with a local Charlottesville farm to donate beef to families in need.</p>

Third-year College student John Hernandez founded Hoos for Heifers at the University, a CIO partnered with a local Charlottesville farm to donate beef to families in need.

John Hernandez grew up on a farm in southwest Virginia, where he was responsible for delivering meat to customers in his hometown. The third-year College student recalls being struck by how much of a difference his efforts made in assisting local, mostly low-income families.

“One time when I was back home, we were delivering meat to somebody, putting it in their freezer and I remember as I was putting it in there I thought, ‘This isn’t money to a kid’s college fund, this isn’t money for a new car — this is food that they’re going to eat tonight, and they’re going to feel good about themselves.”

Hernandez’s experience on the farm informed his decision to found Hoos For Heifers, a CIO which aims to provide financially struggling families with beef they could not otherwise afford. Last spring, he launched the organization and became its first president.

“I thought, ‘What’s something that’s really important to the University and to me?’ And that is eating well,” Hernandez said. “Unfortunately, the reason that people are obese in this country is not because they don’t want to eat healthy, but because it’s a little more expensive, especially beef.”

Hoos for Heifers partners with local Charlottesville farm Quarters Farm to donate beef to Loaves and Fishes, a local food pantry.

“We’re trying to introduce people to what’s life like outside U.Va. Central Virginia is very rural, and Virginia in general is very rural,” Hernandez said. “Our members will be able to go to the Quarters Farm to check out where our food comes from, and also see what it’s like to run a small business.”

Third-year College student Lucas Di Oliveira joined Hernandez in leading the CIO last spring, and hopes to help grow its presence on Grounds and in the Charlottesville community.

“People will see us on the Corner a lot [and] at the football games,” Di Oliveira said. “We’re trying to partner with more local businesses to continue raising money for our beef donations.

Grass-fed beef is known to be leaner and healthier, as it comes from cows which consume a grass-only diet. Hoos For Heifers plans to make this pricy food item more available by visiting Quarters Farm, purchasing it and donating it to Loaves and Fishes once it has been processed.

“There’s a shortage that we’re attempting to correct,” Di Oliveira said.

In the semesters to come, Hoos For Heifers hopes to go beyond the “U.Va. bubble” to serve locals who don’t enjoy the same privilege — namely, consistent access to healthy food — as students on Grounds.