Five ways to prepare for U.Va. Halloween

This holiday is a marathon and a sprint at the same time

U.Va. Halloween is a measure of strength, endurance, creativity and wit. To help you get ready for what is to come, especially if you are a first year and have never done this before, here are some tips on how to prepare. Clear eyes, full hearts, lots of water and protein and appropriate costumes can’t lose.

1. Get an awesome costume.

If sexy Santa, a nun or a ghost is on your list, reevaluate not only your costume, but maybe your life. The main goals for costumes are wit, humor and puns. If you tape a bunch of nickels to your back, the quality of the pun makes up for the lack of effort. In addition, with all costumes, plan for inclement weather. Purple lips and goosebumps do not make good accessories, unless you are dressed up as a dead chicken.

2. Get a kid-appropriate costume for Trick-or-Treating on the Lawn.

Anything from Frozen will surely get attention from the masses. In fact, Disney anything is a guaranteed success, and an obscure, annoyingly specific reference to some foreign film you watched is a guaranteed failure. If possible, walk around with a dog for this event. If you have a dog, I suggest starting a business of renting out your dog.

3. Pick your days wisely.

Halloween is a marathon and a sprint at the same time, and some people just aren’t cut out for it. Halloween is at least three days, but don’t be surprised if people try to stretch it out for as long as possible. Space out your days to give yourself recovery time, get some hydration packs, do some light stretching, talk to your life coach, etc. If you’re going for all three days, then all I can say is: Godspeed, Mazel Tov, stay gold.

4. Carve a pumpkin.

This is important for savoring the childhood innocence of Halloween. Plus, it lets you express your creativity — something that your normal economics and biology classes don’t necessarily let you do. Go all in and make a work of art so beautiful that Picasso would be inspired.

5. Scare someone.

It can be a well-thought-out scary prank or simply popping out from behind a door. I actually recommend this as a regular activity, not just during Halloween, because it is absolutely hilarious and provides endless entertainment. However, sometimes it may not work out in your favor, like that one time when I scared someone who reacted by throwing a punch directly at my face. It was still worth it, though.

Avery’s column runs biweekly Wednesdays. She can be reached at a.moyler@cavalierdaily.com.