Phi Kappa Psi files $25 million lawsuit against Rolling Stone, Erdely

Defamation suit cites Nov. 19 article, subsequent statements

<p>Phi Kappa Psi brothers are seeking legal action against Rolling Stone magazine, Sabrina Erdely and Wenner Media.</p>

Phi Kappa Psi brothers are seeking legal action against Rolling Stone magazine, Sabrina Erdely and Wenner Media.

The University chapter of Phi Kappa Psi fraternity filed a $25 million lawsuit Monday against Rolling Stone and Sabrina Erdely following an article published Nov. 19, 2014 detailing an alleged gang rape at the fraternity house Sept. 28, 2012.

The lawsuit cites defamation in both the article and in subsequent statements from Rolling Stone and Erdely, the article’s author.

The article was retracted after Washington Post investigated and published several discrepancies within the article, after which the alleged rape was investigated by both the Charlottesville Police and, at the request of Rolling Stone, the Columbia School of Journalism.

“Rolling Stone and Erdely had an agenda, and they were recklessly oblivious to the harm they would cause innocent victims in their ruthless pursuit of that agenda,” the lawsuit reads.

In addition to the lawsuit filed by Phi Kappa Psi, the magazine is currently facing a $7.5 million defamation lawsuit filed by Assoc. Dean Nicole Eramo, who assists students following sexual assault.

The lawsuit additionally names Wenner Media LLC and Straight Arrow Publishers LLC as defendants.