“The Man in the High Castle” successfully combines movie elements in first season

Amazon Original boasts alternate reality, effective cinematography

<p>Amazon's "The Man in the High Castle" creates tension and drama in first season.</p>

Amazon's "The Man in the High Castle" creates tension and drama in first season.

It’s rare to see a television series blend genres, cinematography and plot together as well as “The Man in the High Castle” does. The dystopian alternate history series, an Amazon Original, may be nothing short of the best television around.

“The Man in the High Castle,” produced by Ridley Scott, takes place in an alternate reality in which Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan won World War II, divvying America up into three sections: the German-owned East Coast, the Japanese West Coast and a strip of neutral territories in between. The new beautiful and realistic world plays host to alternate versions of everything from the Statue of Liberty to coffee cups, which align with the new dictatorial regimes.

“The Man in the High Castle” also provides a stellar set of characters who inhabit the new world. The series follows seven distinct individuals, ranging from a Nazi general to a Japanese Trade Minister to a Resistance member. Their lives intersect in an intriguing way, providing regular plot twists. Further, the film involves more drama than violence, which is surprising given it’s set in a world of ruthless killers.

One of the shows drawbacks, however, is that several episodes are slow and saturated with melodramatic moments and vague dialogue. Thankfully, dramatic cliffhangers typically resolve those episodes, making up for the dryness.

“The Man in the High Castle” blends genres in a unique way. The traditional Japanese culture adds a spiritual component while the neutral territories bear a distinct Wild West sentiment. These elements are set against a corrupted 1950s America background, adding to the distinct nature of the episodes.

Additionally, the film’s cinematography is surprisingly effective for a television series, especially one in its first season. Shots are vivid and add subtleties to both the world and the balance of power between characters.

Everything from the grand moments to the smallest details are well thought out, ranking “The Man in the High Castle” in television's top tier.