University student, alumnus named Schwarzman Scholars

The recipients will study in China for a year

<p>Fourth-year College student Benjamin Harris and 2010 University alum Mostafa Allum were chosen for the inaugural class of&nbsp;Schwarzman Scholars.&nbsp;</p>

Fourth-year College student Benjamin Harris and 2010 University alum Mostafa Allum were chosen for the inaugural class of Schwarzman Scholars. 

Two University scholars were recently awarded the opportunity to study for a year in China as part of the inaugural class of the Schwarzman Scholars program.

The Schwarzman Scholars program chose fourth-year College student Benjamin Harris and 2010 University alumnus Mostafa Allam for its first class of scholars. They will live and study at Tsinghua University in Beijing, China, while pursuing a one-year master’s degree.

“I cannot think of another international academic program that will allow me to immerse myself in China’s society, culture, language and business environment in a more holistic manner,” Allam said.

The class of 111 scholars was selected from a pool of more than 3,000 applicants from around the globe, according to a University press release. All expenses for each of the scholars are paid for by the program’s endowment fund.

Harris said the program will allow him to further pursue his scholarly interests and research on the impact of nuclear power on international relations, in addition to developing a deeper understanding of international issues.

“I want to have an immersive experience in a culture that I'm unfamiliar with,” Harris said. “I chose [to apply for] the Schwarzman Scholars program because it gives me a chance to study the international world with the brightest minds.”

Allam said the international experience will allow him to familiarize himself with China’s business environment and bring what he learns back to Egypt, where he lives.

“China is becoming a global player and is increasingly investing in the Middle East and Africa, where I am from,” Allam said. “I intend to take the experience I gain in China back to Egypt to play an active role in policymaking.”

The honor is well-deserved for Harris and Allam, Andrus G. Ashoo, associate director for the Center for Undergraduate Excellence, said.

“It's a great privilege for Mostafa and Ben to study in China with 109 other students from all over the world,” Ashoo said.

Although the program is extremely competitive, Ashoo said all students who apply for the Schwarzman Scholars are considered for the scholarship.

“It is not like some of the other awards for which the University is asked to nominate or endorse students,” Ashoo said, “I'm sure there are more U.Va. students out there who are interested and competitive. I'm also hoping to have some students from Darden and the Law school in the future.”

“Their experiences and reflections on the program will, in turn, make them valuable mentors for future U.Va. students and young alumni considering the program,” Ashoo said.

Ashoo said he cannot wait for the next group of students who come through his office seeking the same opportunity.