In love with “Love”

Netflix’s new rom com is worth a second glance

When most people think of romantic comedies, the most cinematic moments come to mind — the passionate kiss in the rain, the best friend who always has something wacky to say or the quirky, clumsy female and the arrogant, vulnerable male. The Judd Apatow-produced “Love” has some of these elements, but its DNA resembles less of a romantic comedy and more of a buddy comedy, the type of movie that made Apatow so famous in the first place. The TV series isn’t always successful in depicting the titular love between its two main characters, but where it fails in romance it makes up for in presentation.

One of the biggest draws to watching “Love” is Gillian Jacobs, most known for her role as Britta on “Community.” Her performance here as a manipulative, straight-talking alcoholic named Mickey is one of the biggest reasons to continue watching. Jacobs’s character is equal parts eccentric and broken, and in a show with a lot of exaggerated elements, she definitely feels the most real.

Less impressive is Paul Rust as Gus, though that’s more the fault of the writers than the actor. Gus is a quintessential nice guy. He’s a South Dakotan on-set tutor who first charms Mickey by buying her a coffee and a pack of smokes at a convenience store. However, like the stereotypical nice guy, Gus is also socially awkward and constantly wondering how to get laid. Rust’s performance is so dedicated that I almost buy what he’s selling — almost. While it’s hard to understand what Mickey sees in him, the strength in their performances, as well as the sweetness of various supporting characters, makes this easy enough to tolerate.

Like most Netflix shows, “Love” takes its time. It’s a beautifully paced story which makes it easy-to-watch and distinctly different from most other rom-coms. Mickey and Gus don’t meet until the end of the first episode, and after seven episodes they are where most couples would be after three. Instead of packing that space with contrived relationship drama, episodes are filled with banter and telling character moments, meaning that the viewer is more likely to fall in love with the characters before they fall in love with each other.

The show’s strengths lie in its pacing and performance. It’s a cozy romantic comedy that’s surprisingly easy to zone out to while studying for impending midterms. When evaluating what the show is really about, this may also be a weakness. Between the relaxed pace and lack of chemistry between the two leads, the show misses that spark that makes romantic comedies so compelling. Nevertheless, the show’s overall charm and humor mean you should be a believer in “Love.”